Thursday, August 2, 2012

My plastic journey...and BUTTER making on the deck;]

SO, I am excited about the random projects I have had going in my kitchen lately! First up...my non-cling wrap project...I had to hide the HUGE Sam's Club cling wrap that I bought because I will use it if it is near by...therefore, this is now what my crazy fridge looks like, but it is totally stack-able, and works GREAT!
NEXT, was a way to dry the left over plastic bags I have so I don't but ANOTHER box of dumb zip baggies...now that I don't have zip baggies in the kitchen, I am amazed at how many are still floating around! SO, instead of buying a "plastic bag dryer" at New Frontiers, my brain actually came up with a way to make one, yea!!! Take a used box of some kind, or even plastic container, fill it with beans (I used our plethora of old coffee beans) and old skewers, and chop sticks;] and WAL-A!
SO far, it's been challenging, but grand getting rid of plastic!! I LOVE IT!

Now, I have started to make butter out of heavy whipping cream I buy from New Frontiers, since it is actually LESS expensive because I can take the Strauss glass container back and get $1.50 of what I paid for it (initally $6.16!) While the butter I prefer to get, usually Clover, is $6.46!! Well...now the Natural Grocers is in town, this may not be the case, but until I find out how much their butter is, and make sure it is NOT Shamrock (sorry folks, don't much weight into companies that do both organic and non-organic products, especially dairy products! the possibility for cross contamination is huge), in fact, this is what our new Natural Grocers store says on their mission statement, hence the reason the carry ONLY Organic and non-GMO items! so KEWL!
here is the cream before it is butter...and then, 3 minutes of shaking it....
AND it's butter, with the buttermilk needing to be taken out, and then washed with cold water (which just means, you drain out the buttermilk into another container, but in some COLD water, shake it a bit more and then pour that off...it is just so the buttermilk won't make the butter go bad/rancid before it needs to, and will last longer!
OK...so this is a BIT of the fun I had yesterday...will share more later...now it is off to Natural Grocers with a friend to investigate the store a bit more, I will post my personal findings and feelings about this store in my next post!

2 comments:

  1. Your fridge looks so clean and organized! I love it and kudos for all the plastic-free containers! I am so far from that right now (I wonder if having three kids under three contributes to that?)And I'm so sad I don't live there anymore...I want to go to this "Natural Grocers". I can't wait to hear all about it. Maybe if (when) we move back, living all natural will be more affordable!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I want to hear the review! I avoid plastic containers like the plague. not big on zip locks either...mostly bowl it up or things stay in the pot!

    ReplyDelete