Friday, August 10, 2012

The sippy-cup conundrum solved! at least in this house;]

SO, on this plastic free journey, the very first things to go were all my baby's plastic toys and her plastic sippy cup. As much as this drove most everyone else nuts, I was resolved to have my 15-month-old-at-the-time, be content with drinking from a small glass cup! An though she was ok drinking her water out of the glass cup, every time we go to Grandma's house, she sucks down water and milk in her cousin's sippy cup! As much as I could let this drive me nuts, it drove grandma practically mad;] hehe OH well, I thought. And then, my mom gave me some un-used ceramic to-go cups that she and dad were not using. You know the kind that you see for sale at Starbucks and other specialty shops for "green" coffee cup option. Very nice indeed, wish more people would buy into it! The kinda cool thing is the top look-alike lid has a small sip hole and the whole lid is made of silicone. My husband, who works with medical grade silicone, informed me that is does leach "less" than regular plastics, though it does still leach. SO, while I hand wash this lid, and the ceramic cup instead of dishwashing it, knowing that, I feel a tad bit better with this option than all-plastic sippy cups. And though it does still spill, since Leenah has been drinking from an open up for the last few months ANYhow, she prefers this because it is the coveted sippy cup feel;] so she LOVES to drink her water now, where before I had to give her the cup to drink from, just about every time I would remember, which is never enough! So though this is still not 100% leach free option, it is much better, because it is a ceramic cup! And it will get us to eventually reaching the next stage of, being done with sippy cups all together;) or at least that is MY plan hehe.
Hope this helps any mamas trying to either get away from the plastic sippys, or just sippys in general, as this is a nice way to wean off of the sippy, and it holds more liquid...win-win I say!

1 comment:

  1. Thanks Mel! Very good tip and I think my boys are old enough to put it upright and not tip it over (mostly!). But I can't find the ceramic cups...they all seem to be plastic. Hmm...maybe I need to look around some more. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete